Networked Learning: New Opportunities and New Issues
- Background, case study, ideas to stimulate discussion, lessons are general.
- Why - encourage use of MAN's, prepare for change
- Who - staff at Scottish HEI's - access no problem, IT awareness, reasonably good
- How - awareness raising, training, communities, research
- The Role of Virtual Learning Environments in the Online Delivery of Staff Development (JTAP-573)
- The main development in the last two years - a move away from supporting face to face learning and towards enabling networked open learning.
- TNA identified a need, also informal discussions
SUBTLY INTRODUCE THE BENEFITS OF TECHNOLOGY
EXPLOIT THE FLEXIBILITY OF THE MEDIUM
- Simple course - using the www in teaching and learning,
- Home-made, administered through email and excel, delivered via web, simple communication.
- Summer - revision
- Subject focus, extra tutors, face to face sessions, smaller groups
PERSONALISE THE EXPERIENCE
- This method fine for small courses, easy to administer, tailor and run, but not scalable
- Not accredited - high drop out rate (or fall behind rate) - though people did the work.
ONLINE STUDY CENTRE
- Many courses-small, inaccessible training room,
- Emergence of Virtual Learning Environments to MANAGE THE LEARNING PROCESS
- VLE ILE OLE ...
- Truly open networked learning
- No cohort minimal tutor support no accreditation
- Great for some, but sometimes, NO COHORT = NO COURSE
PACING IS CRITICAL
MOTIVATION IS CRITICAL
NAVIGATION IS CRITICAL
- LOLA - combined the best elements of each, within constraints.
- What we didn't exploit, as well as what we did wrong.
- Don't think of the web as a delivery medium, or a broadcast medium, take advantage of it's strengths - supporting.
MAKE A CLASSROOM, NOT A LIBRARY OR A LECTURE HALL
MAKE THE STUDENT THE CENTRE
- Encourage the student to contribute and organise their own resources,
- Encourage sharing and re-use,
- Students should think of the network as a place where they LEARN from others.
TAKE THE BENEFITS OF THE TECHNOLOGY BUT DON'T OVERPLAY THEM
- e.g. use conferencing because it will enable an interaction which would not otherwise occur, not just for the sake of it.
TAKE HOME LESSONS
- SUBTLY INTRODUCE THE BENEFITS OF TECHNOLOGY
- EXPLOIT THE FLEXIBILITY OF THE MEDIUM
- TAKE THE BENEFITS OF THE TECHNOLOGY BUT DON'T OVERPLAY THEM
- MANAGE THE LEARNING PROCESS
- PACING IS CRITICAL
- MOTIVATION IS CRITICAL
- NAVIGATION IS CRITICAL
- MAKE A CLASSROOM, NOT A LIBRARY OR A LECTURE HALL
- MAKE THE STUDENT THE CENTRE